- The Dizy 'Corne Bautray', from the 2008 vintage in Magnum is rare and incredible. Jacquesson Harvest details here. Just 3 available!
- Iconic house whose original founder Adolphe Jacquesson created the first Muselet or cage over the cork, to stop them escaping
- Run by the Chiquet family today and they carve out some of the finest examples of champagne
This is one of the most profound chardonnays of the Vallée de la Marne, and the most surprising of all. To this day, Jean-Hervé Chiquet has no idea why his father planted chardonnay in Dizy in 1960, nor even from where he obtained it, as there was no chardonnay in the village at the time. No one believed good chardonnay could be grown here, and it was discovered only by the Chiquet's when a 1995 vin clair stood out.
Even today, Jean-Hervé still describes it as ‘chardonnay from the wrong place that should not be this good!’ And he still has no idea why. The profound mineral impression of this wine is inexplicable, from a site with chalk no less than 2.5 metres under the surface (very much deeper than in neighbouring Aÿ or any of the great crus of the Côte des Blancs), in a village unrecognised for chardonnay of structure.
Over half a century, these old vines have tapped so deep into the terroir that the voice of the soil speaks above the tones of the fruit and the expression of the barrels. Its violent, deep, frothing, salty minerality is a revelation, infusing the palate with immense texture, drawn out with incredible persistence by the high-tensile acid cut of 2008.
Lifted, primary lemon tang leaps from the glass with freshness impossible for a decade of age, a shard of purity that remains transfixed with profound line and length.
For all of its tension and crunch, the ripeness of the house delivers wonderful presence of almost ripe white nectarine, white peach and layers of spice. Nine years on lees has united every detail in seamless texture, playing out an intense background track to its mineral solo.
At least the equal of the soaring 2002, 2008 represents the greatest Corne Bautray yet, a stunning blanc de blancs with an effortless 20-year future before it. It singly takes Dizy to all new (dizzying) heights. Tyson Stelzer
- 100% chardonnay; south-west-facing single-vineyard Dizy of 1 hectare on the boundary with Aÿ, planted in 1960 on millstone-grit gravel over clayey marl and Campanian chalk; vinified and aged in oak casks on lees; zero dosage
- 5,488 bottles and 304 magnums produced.
- Bottled on 20 May 2009. Disgorged in April 2018. No dosage.